Sunday 13 May 2012

May 4, Friday & May 5, Saturday

May 4, Friday   &   May 5, Saturday  

May 4, Friday
Rain again. At 11:54 this morning I feel another earthquake, but not as big as the other day’s.  I’m watching Kibuki Theater on TV.   J   I finally went out at about 1 pm to the Tokyo Station to purchase  train tickets for the rest of my Japanese travels  (Tokyo – Kyoto – Hiroshima – Hakata – Nagasaki.  I also booked hotels on-line for each destination.  At  4 pm the sun finally comes out.   Weather reports show that there has been flooding in the area, over 200 (mm?) of rain in less than one day.

May 5, Saturday   (Happy Birthday Bruno)
Finally the sun is shining again.   I took the Tokyo metro today for the first time.  I LOVE THE JAPANESE !  I have never seen anything so efficient before and I’ve seen a lot of metro systems by now.   There are over 13 metro lines, criss-crossing the metropolitan area; each line is colour coded in addition to having a Letter identification, and numbers for each metro stop.   Example  Green Line = Letter C,  Orange Line = G.   Each station along the line is numbered from 1 to 25 if there are 25 stations  (C4, C20,  G12,  28, etc).   So when you enter the metro station, the first thing you see is the line that comes through that station   A big green circle with the letter C inside it,  or a big orange circle with the letter G.   Once inside the station, you will also see the station number (C4 in green,  or G12 in orange).  When you get to the metro tracks, one side will indicate “C1 - C3” and the other will indicate “C4 – C25” so you immediately know which side to take (unlike New York or Mexico or most places that only show you the name of the last station on that line.  Tough luck if you don’t know what that name is!   If the station has multiple lines going through it:   Red M, green C, orange G and very clear directions to get to each set of tracks.   SO SIMPLE !   The metro map shows you all lines, all stations, and which tourist attractions are linked to which station. 

 Metro map

OK, by now you are wondering why I’m giving all this information.  You just need to ask someone I’ve worked with before.  I LOVE THINGS TO BE WELL ORGANIZED, SIMPLE, AND TO THE POINT.
So all this to say that I had absolutely no problem getting into the station, purchasing my ticket and getting to my destination.  I was heading back to Asakusa Temple (G-19 & A18)  which I had visited in the rain with the city tour,  to visit the rest of the site, take photos while the sun is shining, and try to find a soft sided bag to use during my Indochina Loop.  I know I won’t be able to take my HUGE suitcase on this tour because it is simply too big and I won’t need half the things that are in it (heavy sweaters pants, dressy shoes, etc).  I’ll simply leave my big suitcase at the hotel in Bangkok, where I will be starting and ending my 29-day tour.  Luck was with me and I found a bag for approx $20; made in China however so I’m hoping the zippers won’t break on me the first week out.

 My new bag for the Indochina Loop

 The new Tokyo Sky Tree,  just opened

 Rickshaws available on the streets

 The shopping area around Asakusa

It is hard to move, there are so many people out today

 Asakusa Temple

 Other temples on the grounds


Pagodas and pavilions on the grounds
 
 And a beautiful bronze Buddha outside

Part of the gardens and stream

From Asakusa I need to back track to the Ueno Park.  It’s only about 2 km away, and since I’ve been cooped up for awhile, I decide to walk.  My map and sense of direction don’t fail me;  I find the right street and walk the 2 km along Kototoi Dori Avenue looking at everyday life in Tokyo.  Today is “Children’s Day” (which used to be “Boys Day” !) and parents are out with their children, biking, walking and generally having a good time.  
 Tokyo street scenes:  If you don't have room for a garden, a beautiful arrangements of flower pots will do.

 One of the major streets

 How appropriate,  a Children's Shrine on Children's day

 and a tiny Buddha to go with it.

 Crossing on an elevated walkway above railway tracks

Yanaka Graveyard

At Ueno Park, I start with the National Museum and learn about ancient life in Japan.  All very interesting and again I am floored by the number of years that their history has been documented:  4,000 BC ! ! !
 The national Museum

 No, not Buddha, but one of his early Japanese followers “Yakushi Nyorai” carved wood, dry lacquer with gold leaf, Nara period, 8thcentury

 An amazing wooden sculpture of Emperor Meiji's horse by a reknown artist

This was later cast in bronze and supposedly sits in front of the Imperial Palace

 Bronze eagle, Another masterpiece

 Jar with spout 2000 to 1000 BC.  In amazingly great condition

 Warrior armour

 This is a helmet, but I can't believe it was worn during battle !

 Some ancient helmets   

 Very elaborate armour

 And gorgeous kimonos !



A jeweled hair broach and pin
I continue my walk through the park, along with thousands of people on this bright sunny day.

 Outside another museum there are reproductions by students or some of Rodin's statues; the "Gates of Hell in the background"

 So many people out today

 In one part, there are people demonstrating traditional dancing!

 Most are in Japanese traditional dress

 One of the many little ones out today with their families

Copper lanterns near peony garden
 The peony garden; some shaded by parasols

 
 More of the huge copper lanterns in this section of the park

I visit the peony garden, but can’t seem to find a path to the Ueno Selyoken Pagoda. By-pass the zoo, which is a zoo in every sense of the word today, since it is Children’s Day !
 
 Heading down to the lake with hundreds of other people

I make it down to the area where the lake / pond is located and am quite disappointed by the look of it.  Maybe it is the time of year that makes it look swampy.  

By then however my feet are telling me it’s time to rest, so I head back to the direction of the Ueno Metro Station.   Lots of stores in this area so I walk around some more and find a nice little restaurant “Spaghetti-Yo” in a very busy little side street. 
Nice glass of wine (to your health Bruno !) to go with my Spaghetti Bolognese.   I spend about an hour here, resting my feet and enjoying my meal.  Then it’s back out and to the metro station (G-16 & H-17) for a direct ride back to the station on the corner street to my hotel (G-10).

No comments: