Tuesday 8 May 2012

April 26, Thursday

April 26, Thursday

Leaving China today.  I skip breakfast and simply pack up my suitcases and head out to the Pudong Airport by taxi.  I would have loved to take the Maglev train to get there, but it is simply too complicated with my luggage: taxi from the hotel to the train station; ticket purchase, security check and wait for the train, but only an 8 minute ride to get to the airport at 431 km/hour !   At the airport I would have to lug my luggage around to get from the train to the check-in counter and go through yet another security check.  It just isn’t worth the hassle this morning.   It takes an hour to drive out to the airport by taxi, probably less total time than taking the bullet train and only a short distance to tow my luggage.   I noticed that my suitcase is cracked on one side, probably from the taxi’s trunk, but I’m amazed it hasn’t happened before now.  I will have to find some type of tape somewhere to close that up.
That's the ANA (Asian National Airlines) that will fly me to Japan

Oh, and by the way, it is sunny this morning of course !   I get a beautiful view as we take off of the farmlands and waterways around Shanghai as well as the ocean below.    When we start flying over the islands of Japan I can see green mountains below, but as we near Tokyo the clouds cover everything up and the captain announces that there will be turbulence and rain when we land.
At the Tokyo airport everything goes so efficiently !   Immigration and customs is a breeze and no one asks if I have an onward ticket.  The immigration officer actually did a double take when he looked at all the pages and pages of stamps and visas in my passport, almost all within the last 6 months.

I have not researched how to get from the airport to the city centre, and I was not able to print my hotel confirmation with the Japanese address (staff at the Marvel hotel in Shanghai were not helpful at all) but when I pass through the doors to the main arrival area there is a huge sign for “limousine airport transportation” and I decide to simply take that.   It turns out it is a bus service into the city and the young lady at the desk indicates to me that I will be better off heading for the City Air Terminal (bus station) and take a taxi from there.   It is more than an hour drive into the city and it is dark by the time we arrive.  I find an ATM machine to get some cash and go to the area marked for taxis.  The driver does not speak much English, and I only have the name and address of the Sotetsu Fresa Inn in English, but it seems to be enough because he punches in some numbers on the GPS and off we go.  It isn`t far at all and within less than 10 minutes he pulls up to the hotel.   After a few problems with both credit cards (they have to phone their bank to get authorization) I`m checked in and get to my room.  
Well, I guess it is pay back for having had such a huge suite in Beijing because this entire room would have fit in that suite`s bathroom.  It is tiny, but new and clean and the washroom is the modular efficiency type, with a 5-star toilet !   Hot seat again with built in bidet. 

“Tokyo (東京, Tōkyō) is Japan's capital and the world's most populous metropolis. It is also one of Japan's 47 prefectures, consisting of 23 central city wards and multiple cities, towns and villages west of the city center.  Prior to 1868, Tokyo was known as Edo, a small castle town in the 16th century.   Edo became Japan's political center in 1603 when Tokugawa Ieyasu established his feudal government there. A few decades later, Edo had grown into one of the world's most populous cities. With the Meiji Restoration of 1868, the emperor and capital moved from Kyoto to Edo, which was renamed Tokyo (Eastern Capital). Large parts of Tokyo were destroyed in the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and in the air raids of 1945.”

No comments: