Saturday 19 May 2012

May 16, Wednesday

May 16, Wednesday

Today I will be traveling from Hiroshima to Hakata (Fukuoka).  

 And of course the sun is shining in Hiroshima when I open up the curtains

 Leaving Hiroshima.   The train ride this morning is just as smooth as all the others have been.


 I was looking forward to seeing some water when we passed from mainland Japan to the island of Kyushu, but it was not to be…. the entire crossing, and most of the ride this morning was through mountain tunnels.  This is the only quick glimpse I got when we slowed down to stop at the Shimonaseki station.

When I arrive in Hakata, I’ve decided that I won’t do the planned 2-day excursion to Nagasaki, so while I’m at the JR station, I go to the ticket office to cancel the two tickets and obtain a refund. At first I am advised that because I made the purchase in Tokyo by credit card, I can’t obtain a credit in Hakata; but the two employees who speak very little English “go to bat for me” and after a 20 minute wait, I get my refund in cash. Arigato (deep bow) Arigato (another deep bow) to both of them for helping me out. The young lady wishes a safe trip.
I get a taxi outside the station. I LOVE the fact that Booking.com gives you the hotel name and address in the local language as well as in English on the booking confirmation sheet; it makes things so much easier with the taxi drivers.

I get to the Hakata Excel Hotel Tokyu and settle in for the 4 days (make that 5 days now) prior to my flight to Bangkok. GREAT NEWS…. I’ve received my new Visa card ! So thankful for that very efficient service they provide.

My room at the Excel Tokyu Hotel, in the Hakata area of greater Fukuoka (like Orleans or Kanata to Ottawa)

The view from my room

By 3 pm I decide to go out and explore the neighborhood and get my bearings.   I’m in a beautiful section of the Hakata downtown area, right off the Naka-gawa river and Meiji Dori Avenue.   There are a series of bridges that go over the river and its many branches, and I’m only a few blocks away from the Nakasu-Kawabata Metro Station if I need it.  

Historic Former Prefectural Guest House, just across the pedestrian bridge

 My hotel taken from the pedestrian bridge

 The river downstream, heading to the harbour

 The river upstream.   I can see "Canal City" from here.  Not as far as it looked on the map.

 Interesting architecture.  I would learn later that it was designed by a famous architect.  There is a garden growing all the way up the staired levels.   It also contains the Fukuoka Symphony Hall among other things.

 Across the next branch of the river, leading to Tenjin Central Park

 The entrance to the Symphony Hall

 Looks like there might be ferries, or water taxis on the river.  I'll have to check that out.

I'm now in the Tenjin area of Fukuoka.  Check out the name on this building !   The Japanese have a great sense of humour.  It is visible everywhere.

After walking around a bit I decide that I need to eat something since the coffee and two baby croissants I ate at the Hiroshima JR Station are long gone.   I spot a pizzeria off another branch of the river and decide that will do just fine;  the options are limited but I spot one that has fresh tuna and sardines, olives, hard-boiled egg, and a variety of veggies. 

 Sounded very interesting and it tasted delicious. Thinnest pizza crust ever; it is almost non-existent! 

After finishing my meal, while I studied my map of the city, I decide to continue on my exploratory walk down a covered shopping concourse.


I make it all the way down to Kokutai-Doro Avenue and from there can see “Canal City Hakata”. But that will wait for another day since it’s past 5 pm by now and I don’t want to overdo it. I cross the river yet again and make my way back up the back of the island. 

Smaller apartment buildings and homes along the back way.    Yes, forgot to tell you, my hotel is located on an island in the middle of the river. 

It takes me less than 20 minutes to walk back to my hotel, through the narrow side streets, spotting a few nearby convenience stores along the way.   Not a bad day for my last stretch in Japan.

No comments: