Wednesday 9 May 2012

April 27, Friday


April 27, Friday
It is still raining in Tokyo today and I sleep in until about 9:30 and read and nod off again until 11:30.   I`ve started publishing my blog for the last 20 days and it is taking me a lot of time for each day even though I`ve written things in advance.   3 hours later and I`ve only uploaded 2 days !

At 2:30 I check out the window and see that it is still raining, but decide to go out and check things out anyway.  I need to get my bearings for this neighborhood.  The hotel has a very tiny map that shows basically where I am and the streets of the Ginza and surrounding area.  Ginza is just a 5 minute walk away from my hotel.  I ask the lady at the reception desk why there are no street names indicated on the map but her English is limited and she can only repeat `no names`.  How hard can it be?  I`m good at reading maps.   She told me to turn left when I exited the hotel so that is exactly what I do.  She`s right, there are no street names anywhere !    I walk just a short block (it looks like 5 on the map but they turn out to be tiny lanes) and reach a main street.  It has no name indicated either, but according to the map this is where I turn left again and head down into Ginza, a famous Tokyo area.  At the first main intersection I finally find street name signs.  The rain is still coming down although not heavily and I decide to keep walking.  After passing under the Tokyo Expressway (according to the map) I stop in at a big hotel `Seiyo Ginza` to see if they have a better tourist map to offer.  The lady at the reception desk kindly offers me one of their maps as she bows towards me (everyone is so polite) and although it is slightly better than the one I already had, it only shows a few of the main street names, but lists most of the high-end stores  (Cartier, Channel, Bulgari, Prada, Zara, etc  you get the picture).   I find out that I`m walking down Ginza Dhuo Dori street.  
 


OK, this really caught my eye and I almost missed the shot because I had put my camera away.  You drive your car into the building, ensuring that the wheel base is within the circle.  The attendant then rotates the circle 90 degrees and the garage doors open.  You drive into the garage and an elevator brings your car (up or down) to the next available spot.  How efficient is that!  I think you need a compact car however, that garage opening wasn't that bit.

After more than an hour I decide to head back to the hotel; the rain is like a London drizzle and I am completely soaked through my rain poncho. 

My messy tiny room at the Fresa Hotel

Hopefully it will be nicer tomorrow.

No comments: