Saturday 1 December 2012

November 7, Wednesday

November 7, Wednesday

I checked out of the motel by 10 am and drove out of Te Anau on my way to Queenstown (Land of Lord of the Rings) only 170 km, but a 3 hour spectacular drive.   The first part of my route is the same one I came in on Highway 94, but then I veer north on Highway 6 for the bulk of the route to Frankton and west the short distance to Queenstown.
 
 
 
 
 
I’m entering the Southern Lakes District
Lake Wakatipu:  “New Zealands longest lake (approx 77 kms) and 3rd largest covering an area of 290 sq kms.  It is also one of the deepest at 372 meters having been carved by glaciers over a period of hundreds of thousands of years.”


 
 Looking back along the road I just travelled.

 Ice covered mountains ahead


The Remarkables mountain range:  Elevation 1,943 meters. During the winter months The Remarkables skifield has skiing and other winter activities. The ski area has 3 mountain bowls covering 540 acres (2.2 km²). The patrolled area covers 220 ha with 6 lifts (3 quad chairs, 3 magic carpets, and a tow rope). Terrain is rated as 30% beginners, 40% intermediate and 30% advanced. The whole skifield area is 540 acres (2.2 km²) with 6 lifts. Average annual snowfall is 3.67 metres.

I arrived in tiny Queenstown:  Haden’t pre-booked a motel, there wasn’t much in my motel booklet and I did not have a map so I found a parking spot in the downtown core and went hunting for a tourist information office.  The young lady was very helpful since I was first trying to see if I could book any tours for this afternoon (just missed the 1 pm departure on those).  I booked a half day morning tour for the following day and when she asked where I was staying in Queenstown so that they can come and pick me up, I got to ask her my second question about accommodation.  She made a few phone calls and within 5 minutes, I had a motel room booked nearby.  I obtained maps and brochures about things to do in Queenstown, as well as my tour of the area for tomorrow, and made my way back to my car to drive to the Bella Vista Motel on Main Street.  Another room on the second floor, but the young man at the reception desk offered to help me with my bags.  Since I’m not hauling the big suit case, I managed the rest on my own.  I’m still using that plastic Mexican looking checkered bag for the clothing I’ll need during my drive around New Zealand.        
Queenstown is the “adventure capital of the world” according to one of my NZ brochures; “one of the brightest diamonds in New Zealand’s jewel studded crown”.  Skiing, snowboarding, hiking, white water, sky diving, para-gliding, bungee jumping, canyon swinging (I don’t even want to know what that one is), you name it, Queenstown seems to have it.   

After organizing my things in my room, I decided to make the most of my afternoon and start touring Queenstown.  First on my list was to walk to the Skyline Gondolas and check out the views from the top of Queenstown Hill,  790 meters above sea level (2,500 ft) and 456 meters above Queenstown (1496 ft).
Going up the gondola
 The views keep getting better...

 and better as we get higher up.

Valley towards Arthurs Point

 Views from the top of Queenstown Hill
Paragliding: OK, my cousin Renée sent me an email saying that she went paragliding here, so I decided to check it out. First thing I notice is that it’s called “G-FORCE” paragliding. Then I watch a few para-gliders sail past over the water, looks good so far.


Then I watch them spiral rapidly down to a small green field below the rock face I’m standing on.  I mean REALLY RAPIDLY SPIRALLING.  I was ready to throw up just watching them.  I kept telling myself “Renée did this” but I still couldn’t talk myself into it.  Now if they had been landing on that huge field on the other side of the lake with that immense downward slope, I definitely would have gone up. (photo above the hang glider)   This item will have to stay on my bucket list until I find a suitable location.
 Kilometric sign posts: I’m a long, long way from home! 12,404 to Vancouver + another 3,538 to Ottawa

 I opted out of having lunch up on the mountain top and decided to keep exploring, so I took the gondola back down the mountain.

Had not noticed this contraption on my way up.  There is someone hanging at the end of the rope.


I walked around the tiny downtown area (about 4 blocks by 4 blocks) filled with shops and restaurants.  It really is a resort area.  I found a restaurant where I could eat lunch and read a bit more about the things to see in Queenstown that would not be covered on tomorrow’s tour.  The town was established in the 1860s during the gold rush to Arrowtown.


I then decided to walk around the Queenstown Gardens that occupy the small peninsula.  My camera decided to act up again and I could not take any photos, but I did take some with my camcorder.  Not as good quality for photos, but it is excellent to film. 
 
 
 

 Queenstown from the Gardens



It had been a long day and I decided that it was time to walk back to the motel and get some rest.

Marjo:  I haven’t finished touring NZ yet, but this is a definite possibility!  If not to live, then definitely to visit.  I don’t think they get earthquakes here, but they may get avalanches or rock slides.  It’s tiny however, only about 17,000 population, so keep that in mind!
The view from the window in my room at the Bella Vista Motel.  It wears its name very well.

No comments: