Thursday 6 December 2012

November 14, Wednesday

November 14, Wednesday

Only have one day to explore Wellington since my scheduled departure date from New Zealand is fast approaching.   I was out of the motel by 10 am heading south on foot, since everything is pretty much within walking distance.  A long walk, granted, but I enjoy walking and I’ve been in a car A LOT lately. 
 They have interesting designs inlaid into their sidewalks.   One of the other things I spotted were banners on the light posts

   I’m in Hobbit Land, otherwise known as “Middle Earth”

My first stop was at the Te Papa Tongarewa Museum. Architecturally, it is probably the most interesting I have seen in ALL of my travels. The main areas are open concept and cover s 5 floors, with staggered display areas on the half floors. It is filled with treasures and stories of New Zealand’s land and people.

 If you have seen any Maori ceremonies, or watched NZ Foot Ball, you will know that one of the things they do during their ceremonies is stick their tongue out.  Looks like it is a tradition that has been around for a long time.  Check out this intricate wood carving.

 A piece of carved wood used in the roofing decoration of a Maori Communal Meeting House

 An elaborately carved sea canoe

Maoris have totems too!

 Maori Traditional Communal Meeting House

 A replica of a sea going catamaran, with holograph images re-enacting a journey.  There is audio with the presentation.  Very imaginative.
Found out that according to DNA evidence: The Māori people are most likely descended from people who emigrated from Taiwan to Melanesia and then travelled east through to the Society Islands. After a pause of 70 to 265 years, a new wave of exploration led to the discovery and settlement of New Zealand.”

 Beautiful building

 Here's a good look at a stuffed kiwi.  Their eggs are almost as big as their bodies.

A view of the marina, from the museum

People who have worked with me and seen the condition of my office would find this hard to believe, but I dislike clutter.  My house, although filled with too many nick-nacks (which took me forever to pack when I emptied my house) was usually fairly clear of clutter.  “Each thing in it’s place” was a golden rule my mother indoctrinated in my brain at a young age. But while wandering through the museum, I came across another golden rule (attributed to William Morris, 1880) which I intend to follow from now on:  “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”   The artwork in the Maori section was beautiful. 

They had a section about Phar Lap, the famous race horse.  They did an autopsy on him and discovered that “he really did have a big heart”.  His weighed 6.35 kgs, where the average is 3 to 4 kgs.
There was an entire section on the geography of the region, the tectonic Pacific plates and they even had an earthquake house, simulating the shaking that occurs.  It was meant to mimic the huge quake that destroyed the town of Napier in 1931.  I spent two hours wandering around the huge museum spending a bit less time in the natural sciences areas. 

I left the museum and followed the “Writers’ Walk” all the way along the harbour front.  I realized that I was following the same route I had driven when I arrived yesterday. 
 Along the Writers' Walk


 While I was taking pictures here I started chatting to a gentleman who was all dressed up in "very British" looking apparel.  He asked me if I was here to see Prince Charles and Camilla.  I knew they were in New Zealand, but I did not realize they would be here today.  The gentlemen said they would be there in about 1/2 an hour, and that's when I noticed that a ceremonial rope had been set up along the water front and people had started lining up.  No, I would not be waiting to see Charles & Camilla.

 Beautiful statue near the Art Museum

 Strange looking sculpture.  Hélène:  I thought of "Hoyman the woyme"


I started smelling the aroma of roasting coffee beans, then passed these open doors.  It was called the “Mojo Coffee Roastery”.  DEVINE AROMA.
 The old railway station where the rotisserie is located.


Hobbits everywhere!    New stamp issued by the NZ Post Office
 Advertising the up-coming release of the first part of "The Hobbit" trilogy.
I continued on my way, looking for

 Old St. Paul’s Church

 Originally built in 1866, completely of wood. “One of NZ’s greatest heritage places, one of the finest examples of timber Gothic Revival architecture in the world. It is built entirely of native timber.”

 The carved pulpit

After making my way from the old church to the modern one which, apart from the outside had no redeeming features. 

I continued on to the New Zealand Parliament Buildings

 and its famous 10 storey high Beehive Building (Executive Wing of the Parliament) and Parliament House.

 Parliamentary Library completed in 1899, oldest of the Parliamentary buildings, and the rose garden.

Beautifully maintained rose beds.

 Historical Government Building, built of wood.

 The statue on top of the War Memorial

I walked all the way back, this time along “The Terrace”street until I reached the Cable Car Station.

It still has the wooden seats, and the car is angled to make its way up the hill and through the tunnels.

I rode up the hill for views of the city and a very small portion of the Botanical Gardens.


I usually enjoy visiting Botanical Gardens, but this one is situated all along a steep hill. If I wanted to see any part of it I would have to walk downhill, then back up to the top to take the cable car again. I don’t know how many miles I had already walked today, but it was 2:30 and I had been on my feet since 10:00. There was no way I was going make it back up that steep hill or do any more unnecessary walking.

 At the top part of the Botanical Gardens

 An interesting Sun Dial near the Observatory.

I  rode the cable car back down the hill and continued walking until I reached Cuba Street, famous for its restaurants. 

 Intersting statue in one of the alleyways filled with shops

 Streets of Wellington

 Cuba Street

 Scooper water fountain on Cuba Street

I was hungry and I wanted to SIT so I found an interesting looking restaurant and went in. Can't remember what I ate so it couldn't have been very memorable.

It was only a relatively short walk back to the motel from Cuba Street.  I was never so happy to take my shoes off.  Too bad there wasn’t something I could use to soak my aching feet.
Although there were “Lord of the Rings” location tours advertised, they all looked a bit too “Disney-like” and I decided to give them a miss.  As I had seen in the South Island, apart from seeing the “natural sites” there were no “sights” to see from the movie.

No comments: