Monday 10 December 2012

December 7, Friday & December 8, Saturday

December 7, Friday   &   December 8, Saturday

I spent most of my time up-dating my blog and reading.  The sun comes out a few times and then it pours again.  My camera still refuses to open; although the lens opens up, it does not stay out, it immediately retracts and I get a message telling me to shut off the camera.   I want to download my photos, but can’t do it since the camera simply will not cooperate.  I finally decide to take the chip out and EUREKA, it fits into my computer and I am able to download the photos.    I will probably have to buy YET ANOTHER CAMERA once I reach Hawaii; I just can’t rely on this one anymore.  The next one will have a lens that stays extended; no more retractable lens cameras for me.  It will be bigger but that's what I need to do.
I learned a great deal about Fiji from Sharon and from my driver on yesterday’s excursion:   It almost always rains in the Suva area.   Although Nadi is dryer, the resorts are isolated and once you are there you will have a hard time getting around.  There is a resort area called Pacific Harbour a bit more than midway between Nadi and Suva which supposedly has nice beaches and lots of shops and restaurants.  If you are planning a trip to Fiji, it is probably worthwhile to transfer to a domestic flight after you arrive in Nadi, and fly out to one of the smaller islands which have all-inclusive resorts.  It will be more expensive, and much longer to get to, but you will probably enjoy it more.

If you want to check out Sharon’s eco resort you can see it at    www.naveriaheightsfiji.com   It is on the second largest island, near Savusavu.
Medical care is free for Fijians, and although one taxi driver told me that education was free, the driver who picked me up for my excursion told me it wasn’t.  The Fijian government is fairly stable.  Fijian people are very laid back; they smile a lot and seem happy with their casual life style.

No comments: