Friday 2 November 2012

Oct 2, Tuesday

Oct 2, Tuesday

I opted to take the car today to go to the Botanic Gardens.  It meant I would get there faster than taking the metro and get back to the hotel faster as well.  My cold seems to be coming back!
 I'm always amazed at seeing Birds-of-Paradise growing outside.  This is southern Australia, it gets cold here!

 A very strange tree from South America:  a cork tree

 Amazingly coloured orchids

 One of the great lawns

 The Ornamental Lake, with the spires of Government House in the background

These funny looking birds were everywhere.

 I had seen these flowers before, but this is the first time I realized that they open up !

After touring the gardens, I crossed the road to visit

 the Shrine of Remembrance

 Great statues adorn each corner

with a beautiful sculpture on top of this monument

Short day, but enjoyable to be walking in such a beautiful setting on a bright sunny day.

No comments: