Thursday 8 November 2012

October 10, Wednesday & October 11, Thursday

October 10, Wednesday   &  October 11, Thursday

Wednesday:  Harbour cruises  
I got a late start today, but finally took the bus near the hotel and made my way to Circular Quay to ride the ferries. 

Sydney is built around a beautiful natural harbour, and most cruises depart from Circular Quay. “It is the most beautiful natural harbour in the world;  240 kilometres of shoreline encompass approximately 54 square kilometres of water.   It is 19 km long with an area of 55 km². “ 
To the east, all the way to Manly Beach, where the there is a wide passage, called Sydney Heads, that leads to the Tasman Sea.  (I always thought it was the Pacific Ocean, which it is, but the area between Australia and New Zealand is called the Tasman Sea.)  The Paramatta River has its source near the Blue Mountains and widens as it comes closer to the Tasman Sea, where it becomes Sydney Harbour. 

The ferry I took was the Darling Harbour cruise which left from wharf # 5. 

One of the government run ferries.  I'll be riding on one just like this.

The Opera House from Circular Quay

 The Opera House from the harbour, near the bridge.

Still think that is WAY too high for me to climb, but there are always people walking on top.

Passing under Harbour Bridge
The ferry went under Harbour Bridge across  to the north side of the Harbour to Milsons Point / Luna Park (Luna Park is a huge amusement park and they had one in Melbourne as well),


 it continued to McMahons Point
 Love the architecture on this apartment house
before crossing back to the southern shore to Balmain East,

ANZAC Suspended Bridge, Sydney


 and on to Pyrmont Bay (Australian National Maritime Museum)

No Robert D., I did not visit the Maritime Museum and I know you must be very disappointed in me; I know you would have loved it.

and finally to the Darling Harbour Terminal.
I did not disembark, I simply stayed on the ferry for the return ride to Circular Quay.  

 Beautiful view of the Sydney Skyline from Darling Harbour

 I had about one hour before the next ferry I wanted to take was due to leave, so I found a nice restaurant with an open terrace area and stopped for lunch. Wow they give really big servings here.  And the apple cider went beautifully with my "pie"  (quiche for us).
 I had a few minutes to spare before my ferry would be leaving, so I made my way to the tourist information desk to find out about the Harbour Bridge Walk. Every time I looked at the bridge I thought about making the climb and almost immediately told myself there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I could do it. It is just TOO HIGH. But I wanted to know how much it would cost and how long it would take, how safe it was (obviously safe since so many people were doing it). Found out it cost $250 ! How much? Yes, that much, just to climb up; talk about highway robbery. But I guess that“supply and demand” goes a long way and obviously people were ready to pay that price. I was not. It ended up being the nail I needed to finally confirm that I would not be climbing Harbour Bridge. While I was at the Information desk however I booked a tour to Hunter Valley for some wine tasting. Now THAT, I’m willing to pay for. 

Time for my next ferry ride; I took the Eastern Suburbs Ferry that left from wharf # 4.  It hop-scotched along the southern shore to Garden Island, Darling Point, Double Bay, Rose Bay and finally Watsons Bay.  I chatted almost the entire time with a young Japanese lady who was going shopping at Watsons Bay.  Again, I simply stayed on the ferry for the return ride to Circular Quay.  

The view of the Sydney Opera House from the Harbour
 
I must have at least 30 pictures of this building by now.
 
Historical building at Darling Point
 
Historical houses in Double Bay
 
Sailboats in Rose Bay
 
 Watson's is a newer "trendy" area to live.  Houses are worth a fortune here 
 
It's a beautiful afternoon and many people have opted to go out on the harbour for a spring day sail.

Across from the Sydney Opera House is the area of North Sydney called Kirribilli.  It's one of the "trendy rich" areas of the city where the Prime Minister's Official Residence in Sydney is located. It's the beige house with the double peaks.
 
and where the Governor Generall's House is located.  It is also known as "Admiralty House".

It was quite windy out on the harbour and I was sitting outside the entire time, enjoying the sun, but it was much too windy at times.  It was late afternoon by the time I got back and I decided to call it a day and leave the Sydney Tower for some other day.

Thursday:   Rainy dreary day and I’m tired, so I rested.  In late afternoon I drove car to a car wash to get all the bugs off and not have to pay an astronomical amount when I return it tomorrow.

No comments: