Saturday 10 November 2012

October 14, Sunday

October 14, Sunday

Another late start today, but I finally took the bus back to Circular Quay for a ferry to Manly Beach from wharf # 3.  
 Interesting ships in the harbour today

 Passing a ferry coming back from Mandy Beach

 Glimpsing back at the Opera House and Harbour Bridge

 At the east end of Sydney Harbour, the mouth of the harbour to the Pacific Ocean

 Para-sailing over the harbour.

I met Spider Man and his older brother on the ferry.  This little guy had a pronounced lisp and a really thick Aussie accent and I couldn’t understand a thing he was telling me; big brother interpreted for me.  They were so cute.  Their parents were 3 benches away and were keeping an eye on them.  Dad looked really happy that his two boys were talking to me… and that I seemed to be enjoying the discussion.  He gave me a nod when I pointed to my camera and then to his boys, to ensure it was OK to take their picture.

We landed at the Manly Wharf on Harbour side and I walked down The Corso to reach the beach, only a few blocks away. The town dates back to the 1850s and some of the historical buildings are still here.

 This young 13 or 14 year old buscar had an amazing voice.  He was singing a Roy Orbison song!

Manly beach is 2.4 kms (1.5 miles) long and is located on a peninsula that forms the opening from Sydney Harbour to the Pacific Ocean.
 I took some time to roll up my jeans, take off my shoes, walk on the beach and get my feet wet in the Pacific Ocean.... on the other side of the world from you RenĂ©e!

 Lots of people out today

 
OOOHHH.  It may be sunny, but that water is CCCCOOOLD

 The Corso, the street that leads from the wharf to the beach.
I decided not to have lunch here however since it is even more expensive than downtown Sydney. After one hour walking on the beach, I retraced my steps to the wharf and took the ferry back to Circular Quay.

 Just in time to catch the next ferry

The parasailers are still up there.  I think that's a tandum team.

 Perfect day for sailing


Better shot of the Prime Minister’s official residence in Sydney
I returned to the same restaurant as the day before, but this time ordered a nice Thai chicken salad which looked absolutely huge, but was sitting on a bed of mesclum.  Crispy cucumbers, chunks of pumpkin, lots of seeds and a very nice dressing.  With their humongous rolls, and an ice cold apple cider it was just right.  
 Didgeridoo player in Fleet Square

 Historical buildings in "The Rock",  oldest and trendy area of Sydney

 I walked up into The Rocks area, to the west of the pier, to visit Suzannah Place Museum. This is a row of tenement houses which dates back to 1844. It was built by one family who arrived from Ireland and consisted of 4 houses with 3 floors each. 

 The first unit I visited had been left in this condition so that we could see how it had been built, see all the layers of plaster and paint.

 The second unit had been fixed and displayed period furniture.

 Master bedroom with hand woven mosquito netting.

 The back of units showed the "kitchen and loo" additions

 Quite functional really.

 The third unit was refurnished to show the rental units from the 70s.  There was a sewing machine with material which had been cut and.... OH MY GOD !   This is a pattern I used in the 70s.  I actually made this dress!  I even remember the material I used:  white with aqua flowers. 

The fourth unit was redone as the corner shop that was here for over 100 years and operated until the 1930s.
The bottom floor of the entire block is partially below grade since it is built on the rocky hill side; hence the name for this area of the city:  The Rocks.   The Rocks is the first area which was developed when the colonists first arrived in this area with Captain Phillips.   Each unit has been filled with period furniture and the museum has collected many stories from former tenants, which tell of the richness of community life in this working class neighborhood.
After touring the houses with a very informed guide (she had actually lived in one of the houses !) I continued up to the top of the hill (through a tunnel under the freeway that leads to the Harbour Bridge) to see the view from the Observatory Hill Park.  

 Had to use a tunnel to get from The Rocks to Observatory Hill

 Views from Observatory Hill

The Sydney Observatory was built in 1858 and is now a museum, unfortunately it was closed by the time I got there.

  Views from Observatory Hill


 I then made my way back to circular quay to catch the bus home, rather than going to the Sky Tower. I figured that the setting sun would make it difficult to take pictures and film from up there. Hopefully tomorrow will be another sunny day.

Off Oxford Street, I spotted this historical home and could not resist taking a picture

I decided I deserved a special meal, so I went to the "Rose, Shamrock & Thistle Pub Restaurant "next to Arts Hotel, for dinner.  Succulent roasted lamb.  YUM !

No comments: