Sunday 4 November 2012

Oct 4, Thursday

Oct 4, Thursday

Woke up at 7 am and was ready to hit the road by 9 this morning.  I had intended on heading back on Phillip Island to go take pictures of the beach where the penguins had landed, but really, it would just have been a picture of another beach; no penguins visible.  This time it was the gentleman owner at the reception desk when I went to check out.  His wife had told him that I was from Canada and was heading up the coast to Sydney.  He brought out a booklet of maps and started telling me all the places I should really stop to see; little back roads and al.   Such a nice couple!  And unfortunately the husband is very ill and they’ve had to go to the doctor’s every day for the last week.  They are on their own running the hotel with no one to help them out; I felt really sorry for them.  They live in a small town however so I’m sure that when word gets around the troops will gather to help them out.
So I headed back towards Gippsland Highway, but this time headed east.  I missed the turnoff for the Bunurong Coastal Drive at Wonthaggi, but when I arrived in Inverloch I found it from the other end and drove partway on it to take in the views.

 Stunning views of rolling hills, with tall trees for windbreaks.

 Jaw dropping coast line

 Following trails and boardwalks to get to look out points

 and the views are always worthwhile

 A lone person walking on the beach below

Crashing waves out on the water.
 In one of the spots I stopped to take pictures, there was a nice country house.  It has probably been there for more than 60 years.

The coastal road I was driving on

Back at Inverloch the Hwy was heading inland to Leogathan and then down to Foster and Alberton. I was going in to Port Albert (at the motel owner’s suggestion) since he said that the best fish & chips were available at the wharf.

The wharf at Port Albert
It was only 11 am when I got there, there were a dozen people waiting in line to purchase some food, and I decided to give it a miss (I’ve eaten fish and chips for 3 days in a row now).  I headed back to the highway and had just passed Yarram and Woodside (on the way to Sale where the Gippsland Hwy meets up with the A1) when traffic came to a complete stop.  There was a fire ahead of us and the police had just arrived to redirect traffic.

You can actually see the flames along the branch between the bush and the tall trees.

I guess I could have just waited on the side of the road, but there was a “Rent a truck” in front of me and he had gotten directions from the lady police officer for the detour we would have to make.  I asked the truck driver if I could follow him since I was not familiar with the roads.  He waved me on to follow.  Unfortunately I don’t think he knew the roads either, or the police officer who redirected him didn’t, because within 15 minutes we had to double back the way we came back to the highway.  He stopped at a gas station to ask for directions and waved for me to follow him.  “?? Do I  ?? ,  Don’t I ??“  At least he had stopped to ask for directions which was a good sign;  I decided to follow him.  It turned out to be a really long detour and for the first half hour I really wondered where we were going to end up, but at one of the turn offs there was a sign indicating that we were heading for Traralgon.  Ah ha ! Found it on the map, we were heading north toward the A1; and we would be about 50 km from Sale when we reached it.

Huge agricultural areas with lots of cattle

When we finally reached the A1 I honked and waived my thanks to the truck driver and continued on my way to Sale.  The motel owner  at San Remo had suggested that I might want to veer off at Bairnsdale and go to the coast to see a ferry crossing where it was pulled across the river with cables, but I decided to give that a miss and just head for Lakes Entrance where I was hoping to spend the night.   It was only 4 pm when I got to the motel, but 7 hours on the road had been enough for the day.  I’m still feeling the after effects of this cold. 
 The Marina at Lake Entrance

 a black swan in the lake

 The life size wooden sculptures created by chainsaw artist John Brady made of cypress wood; all in honour of WWII servicemen

 
and women.

No comments: