Sunday 21 October 2012

Sept 24, Monday

Sept 24, Monday

I had access to the Internet so I caught up on some emails. I’m late checking out of the motel this morning.  Yesterday afternoon I crossed another border and am now in the state of Victoria; their time is one hour later than South Australia!
I take a quick drive through Warrnambool to see some of the sites before heading down the Princes Highway (A1).  I also stopped in at a mall to get some cold medication.  The lady pharmacist was extremely helpful and I was able to purchase some syrup that would help with my chest cough without affecting my asthma.  Since she was being so helpful I asked if she would be able to refill my asthma medication (there were plenty of repeats left) but unfortunately she could not help with the daily one, only with the emergency pump.   Still, she was extremely kind and it was very much appreciated.

Today I’m starting my drive along the Great Ocean Road. I won’t be covering a lot of kilometers because I’m going to be stopping to take pictures at the many lookouts along this road.  Although I have a 270 km drive today, the bulk of that is after my sightseeing stops.
Bay of Islands, limestone bluffs
 
 
 
From one minute to the other the weather changes;  sunny one minute, dark and cloudy the next.


“London Bridge” has fallen down, near Port Campbell. “On the evening of 15 January 1990 the main arch connecting London Bridge to the mainland cracked and fell into the sea. Fortunately no one was injured. Two people marooned on the new island were rescued hours later by helicopter”.   Note to self: Stay well away from the edges of the cliffs and don’t walk over any open arches. Limestone cliffs continue to be eroded by waves, wind and rain; they have been for millions of years.
The view on the other side from London Bridge
 “The Arch”
“Loch Ard Gorge”
 
 And there are a few arches at this site as well.

 Layers in the limestone, revealing millions of years of formation

 
The “Loch Ard” was a clipper that sailed through this area in 1878 and was shipwrecked on the rocks. I walked four different trails here, it was a huge area providing different vistas

This rock formation is called the Razorback.  I wonder when it will keel over?
There were quite a few walking paths here and I ended up walking 3 of them, despite the extremely cold and windy day. The sky was ever changing, from sunny to white clouds, to grey rain clouds.

Still at "Loch Ard Gorge” but looking out past Razorback east on the southern coast.  This is where the twelve aposltes begin.

 A look at that arch from the other side of the cliffs.  Yes, I did A LOT OF WALKING up on those windy bluffs.

The next three photos all go together

 From this vantage point near the arch, I look back at the two promontories where I walked.
Can you see the people on the lookout on the second bluff over?

 Can you see them now?

OK, with the powerful zoom; Can you see them now?
Thought I would give you a bit of perspective on how high these bluffs really are.  You also get an idea of how ope it is at the top of the bluffs.  The horizon seems to go on forever.

I got back in the car for the 6th or 8th time; I completely lost track of how many stops I made.  But the next one was going to be the Twelve Apostles. 

 Unfortunately, the photos looking out towards the west have the reflection of the sun on the water and really doesn't do it justice.

 This is the view looking east, so you will just have to superimpose these colours to the one above to get an idea of how breathtaking this was.  
Another check-mark on my "bucket list".
The Twelve Apostles have almost disappeared because of the erosion from the waves, the wind and the rain.  There are only about 8 that are still tall, the other 4 have crumbled. 
I did not stop at “Gibson Steps”,  which would have been the next, and last stop today.  I figured I had had enough wind for the day and my cold was getting worse and worse.   Instead of continuing on the Great Ocean Road, I decided to turn inland through Lavers Hill toward Colac and get back on the A1 to get to Geelong.   

 The road to Colac was through high mountains and it started to rain.  I felt like I was driving on a roller coaster and had to decrease my speed because of the wet roads, and my poor reflexes because of my cold.
Once I got on the A1 however, the conditions improved and a rainbow appeared.  At first it was just a small portion near the ground, then it grew and grew

until it reached the other side of the road.  

 













If you look carefully, you can see a second rainbow shadowing it.   
Kind of the cherry on the sundae!

I didn't even bother looking through my little motel book, I just stayed on the main road into the city (it was there before the bypass was built) and located a motel not too far from the highway leading to Melbourne. I was very tired, my cold had gotten worse, and all I could think about was getting in bed and sleeping.

No comments: