Monday 15 October 2012

Sept 17, Monday

Sept 17, Monday  

Today is the day I pick up the rental car…  FREEDOM to travel where and when I want.  I took the bus to get downtown and made my way down Morphett Street until I found the Hertz Rent-a-Car.  Quite a few formalities to finalize, then I was ready to leave.  Reminded myself again about my trick:  Left turn = short, immediate from left lane to left lane.  Right turn = long, RIIIIGHT all the way to the other side of the road.
I first headed back to North Adelaide since the shuttle bus ride had not allowed me to take as many photos as I would have liked.  I drove around the streets (reminded me a little of Rockcliffe in Ottawa) then stopped to visit St. Peter’s Cathedral.  First consecrated in 1878, the cathedral was only finished in 1911.

 St Peter's Cathedral

 
 Original stained glass windows

New stained glass windows

From there I wanted to drive out to Port Adelaide, which is north west of the city.  It was an easy drive on the A7 and I was able to make my way there without any problems.  I parked at the waterfront, in the oldest part of the city and walked around.
 1868 Lighthouse

 Some old hotels, beautifully restored

City Hall block also contained the Customs House and the Gaol

The entire are has old buildings that have been lovingly restored
I stopped at the Tourist Information office to get some brochures and found out about a nice pub where I could eat lunch. I had been trying to find a restaurant Tante Jacqueline had told me about, but it did not appear to be in Port Adelaide (and I had not found it in Adelaide either). I stopped in at the Port Dock Brewery Hotel

 Port Dock Brewery Hotel

I Roast beef, potatoes, gravy and lots of veggies.  I guess I should have been eating fish & chips, but I had eaten that already quite a few times.


The restaurant included a micro brewerey.  There home brew was quite nice.

 Back at the waterfront there was a tall ship at anchor.   Robert D....  I thought of you !

This is my rental car. 

From there I drove south along the coastal Military Road on my way to Glenelg, another small community. 
 Driving down the coast

My first look at Glenelg, across the water
I got turned around once along the way (should have crossed over that bridge at the marina, came to a dead end), but managed to turn myself around and get back on the right road.  I found a parking spot on a side street off Jetty Road (not easy to do since the place was crawling with tourists) and walked around to the water front and along the shops.  


There was a huge construction site along the waterfront (Tante Jacqueline, I think that restaurant was in this area, but it’s gone with the redevelopment.)

 The pier in Glenelg

Quaint houses everywhere in the downtown area

Glenelg is where the first settlers came ashore to begin the new colony in 1836.  There is a tram line that runs from Glenelg all the way to Adelaide city centre.  While I walked around I spotted a cell phone shop and went in to purchase a cheap one to have in the car for emergencies. 
It was not that late, but I decided to make my way back to Adelaide before the traffic got too bad.  Now that was a lot easier than I thought.  I took the ANZAC Road (A5) up to Greenhill in Adelaide and turned right, by-passed the entire city and ended up at the south end of Portrush Road on the east side of Adelaide.  Easy drive to the motel from there.  Got the car safely parked in the courtyard and called it a VERY GOOD DAY !

No comments: