Thursday 11 October 2012

Sept 12, Wednesday to Sept 14, Friday

Sept 12, Wednesday   to   Sept 14, Friday

Wednesday:  I stayed at the hotel, did some laundry, and relaxed.  The pool is great by the way.
Thursday:  Leaving Alice Springs on the Ghan train today, heading for Adelaide.  I still had some clothes in my “extra” bag so no problems getting onboard this time.  The young lady sitting next to me is from Japan; she is in Sydney studying English at one of the universities.  Her English is quite good and she says she really enjoys talking to me because my English is so easy to understand compared to Australians.  Most Australians “mangle” English like Canadians “mangle” French.  In French we say “On mange nos mots”….. “We eat our words” so that some syllables or letters aren’t pronounced at all.  Aussies do the same thing.  I’m amazed this Japanese girl has done so well; maybe the professors enunciate more during classes.  She is on a school break and is travelling through Australia, on her own for the first time.  Brings back memories of my very first trip on my own, back-packing through Europe for 4 months from May to Sept 1974.  

The train ride was pretty boring; same scenery for the 12 hours on-board.  No nice stops for excursions this time around. 
 Crossing a dry river bed.... somewhere in the middle of nowhere

 The scenery is pretty much the same

 We are advised by the loud speaker to look out on the left side of the train since we will be passing a monument erected in memory of the builders of the railway line.  This was it !  Life size.

 As the sun goes down, the landscape gets barer
Friday: I was awake for the sun rise at 5:20 since I had not slept much, but it hadn’t been as bad as the last time. Less people walking through our carriage this time. Actually it took us 15 hours instead of the 12 since we were on the side-lines, waiting, and waiting, and waiting, when we were finally advised that the train engine had failed and we were waiting for a replacement engine to be sent out.

Sunrise on the Ghan Train to Adelaide

 We do see some cattle along the way

We are stopped a long time in this spot, next to the highway, waiting for another train to go by
 As we near Adelaide, we start seeing some mountains

 and the scenery gets greener when we start seeing valleys below the mountains

 On the outskirts of Adelaide, there are a lot of hot houses..... and VINEYARDS !
Hourray for the the Aussies and their wine.

More vineyards.  It is spring time in this part of the world, some some of the vines have no new growth yet.
The arrival in Adelaide was a bit crazy, waiting for the luggage to be unloaded so that we could locate our own.  And there were no taxis waiting at the station when we first arrived.  The train was so late getting in that it took a while for them to start showing up.  I caught one however and made my way to the motel I had reserved online.  Since I was going to be renting a car while I was in Adelaide, I needed a place that had access to parking.  I settled into my room at the Granada Motor Inn, sent out a few emails, went for dinner at a nearby Mexican restaurant and settled in.  I noticed a bakery across the street, so I'm set for breakfast tomorrow morning.

No comments: