Thursday 11 October 2012

Sept 15, Saturday

Sept 15, Saturday

The young Asian lady working at the front desk of the motel explained how the bus system worked to get into the city so with change in hand I walked the short distance to the bus stop and went to explore Adelaide.   My Tante Jacqueline had been here years ago and absolutely loved Adelaide so I was looking forward to this.  The bus would take me to North Street.   Downtown Adelaide, or what they call the TCE is a huge square grid bordered by huge green spaces, with the Torrens River running across the north end.  I got off the bus near King William Street and walked around looking for the Tourist Information Office which was supposed to be along this road. 
Haigh's Chocolates !
The first thing I spotted was the Haigh’s chocolate shop.   Woah ….back up horsy !  I’ve heard of this company; they supposedly make D E L I C I O U S chocolates.  (Lorraine & Shirley, I thought of you today as I ate my multi flavoured truffles.)  “Haigh’s is Australia’s oldest family owned manufacturing chocolate retailer, established in Adelaide in 1915 by Alfred Haigh.  Now in its fourth generation, the company has grown from the original Beehive Corner shop, to a growing network of retail stores.”  My selection included Café Latté, dark chocolate, rum, shiraz, champagne, cointreau, lemon, raspberry and praline.  YUM !  Don’t worry… I made them last for a while. {Actually finished the box of chocolates while I was in Sydney !}  

I found the bus information counter at the corner of Flinders Street but had not found the tourist one, so I retraced my steps and found…. A bakery !    Well, it was lunch time and breakfast was long gone.  I went in to buy some bread concoction with cheese and veggies on top, then continued on my way.  I finally located the tourist information office on Rundle Street, a pedestrian mall.  Picked up lots of brochures and the lady who assisted me was quite helpful with information about wine tours.  OK, from this last paragraph I’ve just finished, you have learned about all my little weaknesses where food is concerned. 

She told me that this was Market Day and I had two hours before it closed down for the day, so I headed back down King William
 King William street and City Hall with its clock tower
I walked across Victoria Square, and made my way to Adelaide’s Central Market.

 The Central Market buildings

 End of the afternoon sales.  Looks like they were already starting to shut down, so I did a quick walk through. 

Nice old buildings across the street
I had found out about a free shuttle bus that looped around the downtown core and then when up into North Adelaide and decided that it would be a good way to get my bearings,  There was a stop at the Central Market of course and I found out that the locals use this service as much as the tourists do.  It’s a cheap way to get around. 
Adelaide is a beautiful city, filled with historical buildings.
 
 The downtown core is surrounding by huge green spaces; very beautiful
After completing the "loop" around downtown and "north Adelaide, I got off again on North Street. This is the “main” street which has the state parliament buildings, the museums, the monuments, etc.

The War Monument

Statue of King Edward the VII, in front of the State Library

Statue of Robert Burns, the poet, in front of the Museum of Natural History

I decided to go in to the Museum of Natural History since I still had some time.  Lots of skeletons of whales and dinosaurs; stuffed animals from all over the world…  the usual stuff.  The best part for me was the Aboriginal section with its art and historical information.
 Did you know that not all boomerangs are designed to come back? I didn’t. It’s a hunting tool to stun birds or other small prey.

Beautifully decorated shields

Then there was an entire section, “oldest surviving gallery in the Museum, with 3000 artefacts of Pacific aboriginal cultures, dating back to 1895.”   Most were from New Guinea and were still displayed as they had been in the early years the museum was established.  Quite impressive

I had been walking for hours and my feet were tired, so I decided to make my way back to Rundle Street where I had seen lots of restaurants, to try to find some place to eat before taking the bus back to the motel.  Lots of shops,  walked all the way to East Street   
 Rundle Street Mall

 
 
 Then Rundle street becomes a regular street again.  Check out the wall art.... reminded me of Ottawa !

 Beautiful old buildings everywhere, and all well restored and maintained.  The city is extremely clean as well.

 This is the site of the old market area; now shops and cafés

 and old homes / hotels

and the green space surrounding it all.
I made my way back to the bus stop on North Street and my rode back to the motel.  
LONG DAY !

No comments: