Saturday 26 November 2011

Nov 25, Friday

Nov 25, Friday
Another late start to the day, but I needed to go down to the lobby to connect to the wifi to upload my blog and do a bit of research for my side trip to Iguasu Falls.    Located a travel agency nearby and booked my flight and hotel to the falls for 3 days.   That should give me enough time to visit, relax and enjoy the sights there.  It took 3 hours to book this!  Nothing is quick in travel agencies here.
While walking to the travel agent, I passed the NH Tango hotel, where they have tango dinner shows, so I went in to purchase tickets for tonight’s performance.  AND,  there are tango lessons from 7:30 to 8:30, just before the dinner, so guess who’s going?
Since I was already on the northeast side of Avenida 9 de Julio  (16 lanes wide ! plus 3 wide walkways in the middle) I decided to keep walking to Avenida Florida, a pedestrian shopping street.
  Avenida Florida

Galleria Pacifico, ready for Xmas
I needed to find some black shoes/sandals to replace my nice black sandals (purchased in Puerto Rico during the cruise for Monique & Steph’s wedding) which I somehow left behind in one of the hotels I stayed at.   I loved those sandals and could walk miles very comfortably in them.   But I now need black sandals/shoes to wear with my dresses and skirts as well as for tonight’s tango lesson.
Did I mention that people still smoke a lot here and in Chile?    They can still smoke in some restaurants and hotels, and obviously out in the streets when they can’t smoke in their work places.  There are cigarette butts and dog poop all over many of the sidewalks, as well as that ever present smell of urine heated by the sun.    But the city itself is beautiful and I enjoy walking its streets.    Found some shoes that will suit for dressing up, but definitely not for long walks.
I got back to the hotel in time for a nice shower and a rest before heading out to the NH Tango.   Almost everyone there who took the lessons were couples, so I got to dance with an instructor for the first part of the lesson.  No one stepping on my toes obviously!   But there were a lot of “ouches” around the room.   For the second part of the lesson they matched me up with the only other male in the room who was alone, unfortunately he was not a very good student, quite shy and only spoke Ukrainian.   He gave up even trying and finally got back on the floor when a lady from another couple went to speak to him and talked him through the steps.   That got me back with one of the other instructors.   Had a lot of fun and there was a lot of laughter in the room.    Gilles and I had taken lessons years ago;  his gift to me at the Arthur Murray Dance Academy in Ottawa.   I can remember him having to dance with the male instructor to learn the steps,  and the look he gave me!   It still makes me laugh.
Anyway, after the lesson we all went downstairs to the main theatre for dinner (my selection: cream of leek soup,  beef steak with herbed potatoes, crème caramel).  The waiters were very attentive and my wine glass kept being refilled.   Good thing there was also a bottle of water on the table because I kept drinking as much water as wine.  At least I think I did.  
 I was seated next to a very nice couple from Venezuela who were very disappointed to hear about my problems in their country.   Ana provided me with her email and phone numbers and promised to connect me with a travel agent in Caracas who could arrange a full “all inclusive” trip for me.  I will keep it in mind when I reach Ecuador on my return trip from the South Pacific.
The show was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
 The theater during dinner

  Tango dancers

 The orchestra

 Beautiful number
It was close to midnight when we came out of the theatre and the streets were filled with people of all ages,  even babies and young children.   It is a long weekend I was told, Monday being a national holiday so people are taking advantage of it.    Still, I was glad that I only had four long blocks to walk.  
 My tango certificate and official picture

Tried to upload a video clip, but it did not work.  Sorry.


No comments: