Monday 14 November 2011

Nov 13, Sunday

Nov 13, Sunday
Today is the “Hop-on  Hop-off” bus circuit day.   I leave the hotel by 9:30 and walk the 17 or 18 blocks back, close to where I was yesterday, to the nearest “stop” for this tour bus.   I got very lucky and only had to wait a few minutes for the next bus to arrive  (they run every 20 to 30 minutes).    And off we went.   Although it is a double-decker, this morning I opt for the inside of the bus for the first portion because it is still cold outside and the wind is quite strong.  I simply admire the view as we make our way from stop # 5 Providencia, to stop # 8 Parque Arauco which is a huge shopping mall located on Avenida Presidente Kennedy.   I need to replace the second battery for my Sony Camera.   The mall is huge, and there does not seem to be a map of where specific shops are, so I ask for directions, get pointed in the wrong one, ask for directions again and find my way into the correct sector, where I find a MALL MAP !    Sony store located, battery purchased, I’m heading back for the bus since I don’t really have any interest in shopping.   Luggage is heavy enough as it is!   But I do notice that the mall is all decorated for Xmas already,  lights, Santa section, and window shops.  
  Xmas decs at the mall

  Ave Presidente Kennedy
We make our way past some sectors I remember seeing Friday during the city tour.   We get to the Bella Vista area, where I get off to take the funicular up Cerro San Cristobal.  
  Hope the breaks don't give out!

  Views of Santiago

  Views of Santiago

  La Imaculata Concepcion

  Santa Lucia Hill to the right
By the time I come back down the hill, it is around 1:30 and I’m hungry, so I stop at a sidewalk restaurant for a nice salad, while I wait for the next bus to show up.   I’m very lucky because the bus is late arriving and I have time to finish just before it arrives.   Back past the Bellas Artes Museum, which I had planned on seeing but I’m museum’ed out by this time and decide to skip it.   The sun is finally shining and I want to enjoy it while I can.   We make our way through the historical district and Plaza de Armas, which I’ve already seen, and continue on to the Mercado Central where all the food is sold.   It is Sunday, so there is limited activity.
  Mercado Central

  Parque Forestal

  One of the pedestrian streets
Past Plaza de la Constitucion and back to Santa Lucia, where I want to get a closer look at that fountain.
  Mural outside the park

  Fountain & main entrance (1902)
It is magnificent: the fountain, the building, and the stair cases.  It is very impressive.
From here I’m faced with a decision since my hotel is located mid-point between 2 bus stops.  I opt to leave the bus and take the metro so that I don’t have to walk too far to the hotel.   Works like a charm, just 4 metro stops away and I’m on Avenida Manuel Montt,  just one street away from the one my hotel is on.    I was planning to stop for a pastry on the way back, but all the shops and restaurants are closed.  They will probably only open up for dinner later this evening.    So an early night for me.
Need to pack up everything anyway, since I have to change rooms tomorrow.   I’m heading out for a full day excursion to Viña del Mar & Valparaiso.

No comments: