Friday 17 February 2012

February 3, Friday & February 4, Saturday

February 3, Friday
I walked back to the ATM today since I can only get 200,000 shillings at a time from the machine ($1 = 1,600 shillings).  This time, I did not take my purse; I just left with my cards in my pocket.  No camera either;  I don’t feel safe walking around these streets taking pictures.  I took the time to walk around many of the  other streets though, looking like I knew where I was going, and this time did not get accosted by any “helpful” young men.
 Streets around my hotel and the market area

  I had to walk on this street each time I went to the ATM machine.   That's a drainage ditch between the road and the sidewalk.  Only rickety boards to cross over.  Garbage everywhere. 

I saw Betty and Trevor again just before they left on their safari this morning. I spent the rest of the day sorting through everything in my suitcase and organizing what I would need to take on the 7-day safari. It is advertised as 7 days, but the first and last day are at the lodge, so technically it is only a 5 day safari.      

February 4, Saturday
Last trip to the ATM machine before I checked out of the hotel and moved to the Outpost Lodge.

 I did discover the nicer side to Arusha on the drive over to the Outpost Lodge.  It's only a 10 minute walk away from my hotel.   Will check it out when I get back from my safari.

 Traffic circle with elephant and rhino statue

 A band playing as they are riding in the back of a truck

 It was only a short 10 minute drive to the Outpost Lodge.  Spent part of the afternoon in their cafĂ© enjoying a nice Iced Latte !   YUM    Spent some time in my room and got settled in.  
At 6 pm I was meeting our guide and the group of people I would be travelling with:  Bobby & Lloyd (Victoria BC), Frank (Calgary), Peter (Sydney, Australia), Stine & Birgitte (Norway) and our guide Deo (Deogracias Mafemu).   Deo was giving us some documents and details about our trip and I felt more and more queasy.  45 minutes into the meeting I had to excuse myself to find a bathroom.  Ended up running back to my room for privacy and ended up violently throwing up the latte.
I was able to rejoin the group and finish the meeting.  Everyone was planning to eat together !  I had to excuse myself and explain about the latte.  My stomach was not in the mood for any food.   I promptly went back to my room where I was again sick,  this time from both ends.  Everything was coming back out !
After cleaning myself up I went to the bar within the restaurant in the Lodge and was able to purchase a couple of bottles of ginger ale.  Just what the doctor ordered.
We had an early morning wake-up call so I turned in early hoping to get some sleep.   That didn't quite work out according to plan.  My bowels had not finished emptying themselves out !
What a way to start my camping safari ! ! !                          

No comments: