Saturday 18 February 2012

February 10, Friday & February 11, Saturday

Feb 10 & 11

This morning I said good bye to everyone from my group and then checked out to return to the Arusha Crown Hotel for 2 nights.  After settling into my room, I borrowed the lobby laptop and did some research for a side trip to Moshi, to see Mount Kilimanjaro and reserved a hotel/lodge just outside Moshi for 2 nights.     I also did some research into a flight from here to Nairobi, as well as looking for a hotel in Nairobi.  I got directions to the nearest travel agency to book my flight from Kilimanjaro Airport to Nairobi.   I also found a great restaurant “Africafé” where I ate the best hamburger EVER !   May have helped that I had not eaten one in ages, but it really was succulent.
When I got back to the hotel, I got back on the lobby computer and booked a hotel in Nairobi (Love BOOKING.COM !)  and then spent the evening in my room watching boring TV, reading and doing Sudokus and Crosswords.

My Swahili has grown during these past 2 weeks:  
Jambo = Hello,   
Asante = Thank you,        Asante sana = Thank you very much,    
Karibu = Welcome,   
Pole pole = slowly slowly  or softly, gently be quiet, be calm.   
Hakuna matada = no worries.      They really do use that line !
Simba = lion,  
Rafiki = friend,  
Pumba = foolish or silly,    
Bwana = Father, sir, master: respectful form of address (those old films were right !)

The Canadian couple from BC, Betty and Trevor (or is it Terry ?) were back for a short rest before departing again the next day for the southern Tanzania part of their safari.   We swapped stories about our trips.   I made arrangements for a driver to pick me up and take me to Moshi the next day.   Another very slow easy day to recuperate.

No comments: