Monday 20 February 2012

February 19, Sunday February 20, Monday

February 19, Sunday      February 20, Monday

Sunday:
Today I went out to walk around again and try to find a map of the city and local tour information.  Not as easy as it seems.  I decided to explore some streets I had not been down before.  Stopped at an ATM to get more cash to pay for the extra nights at the hotel.   I found a nice looking hotel and went in to see if they had any tourist information.  They were very helpful and I ended up with a map, an outline of where it was safe for me to walk and the areas where I should not venture alone.  He volunteered this information when I mentioned that the National Museum appeared to be within walking distance, just beyond the University of Nairobi campus.  “No !” I was told;  “it’s outside of the safety circle”.
With map in hand, and the view I had gotten from the top of the Conference Centre, I now felt confident about really walking around and exploring.    This was Sunday and all the shops were closed !   I ended up walking for about 1 ½ hours and had still not found a restaurant I wanted to eat in.   Finally, when I decided to loop back around to my hotel, I found a nice Coffee/Tea Shop (very modern) that also served meals.  Jackpot !    Had a nice cup of corn & potato soup, followed by a hamburger and a salad.  This time I treated myself to dessert;  freshly baked banana loaf.   Definitely coming back here for the great Kenyan freshly ground coffee !  FINALLY.   Every other place serves instant coffee;  just don’t understand it.

Got back to the hotel just before 5 pm for a badly needed shower since it’s in the low 30s here.  I was finally watching some a great movie (rare here)  when we lost the signal !   It came back and kept cutting out every 15 minutes or so.   After a while I realised that there was no blaring music downstairs.  I guess they can’t open up any bars on Sunday here.   Peaceful evening watching a series of good movies.  Very nice for a change.

Monday :
Went out to the ATM again to get the balance of the money I will need to pay for my room and looped back around in a different direction.   Right in front of my hotel, (technically outside the safety zone) is a police station and beside it the University of Nairobi.   Could not resist going over and checking out a university campus; just like old times at the University of Ottawa campus where I worked in the Registrar’s office for 5 years.
  Entrance to the main Administration Building
   The Mahatma Ghandi Building
   More modern buildings on the campus
   The "Fountain of Knowledge".   How appropriate for a university campus.

I was taking pictures and met a man I took to be a university professor, but it turns out he is a mature student, studying physio therapy.  He offered to show me around the campus.  Classes start up tomorrow and they had just finished having a fundraiser and presentation to the Minister of Education, to try to get financial assistance for students who suffered from polio, and other crippling diseases.  They were also trying to raise money to purchase wheelchairs.   I could see this guy coming from a mile away, but it sounded like a good cause.   Almost everyone you meet here is a very religious Christian.   He showed me the university chapel and I went in to say a short prayer for Mom & Dad.   I wonder what they would think about this trip I’m on !   I think they would be pleased...... and worried.
I gave the student a small donation.  Don’t know if it will help with purchasing a wheelchair, or simply paying for a few meals for him, but either way, it will help.

Got back to the hotel to find out I had missed O’Sesmus.   I’m sure he’ll be back later today.

Tomorrow I venture out to visit the National Museum of Kenya

No comments: