Tuesday 21 August 2012

July 15, Sunday

July 15, Sunday

I got off to a later start than I had planned on, however I was still able to catch the Hop-On / Hop-Off bus at around 9:30 this morning just a few blocks away from my hotel.  I was incredibly lucky since the bus arrived just as I got to stop # 7.  “Merdeuse encore une fois!“ 
 The stop and fountain in "Little India"

 I got off the bus at the National Museum and did a quick ½ hour around the exhibits.

 Impressive building

 JAVA MAN ! ! !

The grounds of the National Museum
Malaysia was occupied by a series of countries during its history: Portuguese arrived in 1511, the Dutch in 1651, the British (East India Company) in 1764 and the return of the Dutch until the end of WWII.   Although rubber and spices were the main reasons for them to want to control these islands, the production of tin also played a significant role.
I had to wait longer than expected for the next bus, and strangely enough it arrived from the wrong direction.  Must have been another traffic jam somewhere.  In any case, I got on and we went on to stop #13 at the National Palace.  No one is allowed to enter the palace, since it is the home of the current king and his family.

 The gates to the National Palace

 A view of the palace through the gates

 Hey.... does this look familiar?  Same-same, but different .... my RCMP friends.

The palace and gardens look very impressive
A bit of strange information for you:   The King of Malaysia, or more commonly known as the "Yang di-Pertuan Agong" is rotated every 5 years among 9 Rulers from the Malay states. The current King is Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin, the Sultan of Terengganu.”
We did get a 10 minute stop here while the bus waited, so I was able to get a few good pictures.

We were on our way again and the next stop was at the National Monument, the Asean Sculpture Garden and the Botanical Gardens.  I had to get off at the Botanical Gardens and walk back to the
 Asean Sculpture Garden

 and National Monument.

 Check out the flowers on the traffic lamp posts; quite beautiful

I walked all the way back and through part of the Botanical Gardens
I only did a quick walk through of each.  Based on yesterday’s ride, I knew that the Bird Park was close to the Botanical Gardens, so rather than wait for the next bus, I just walked there through the parkway.  It was incredibly hot, I was soaked from sweat and my feet were killing me, but I made it to the Bird Park.
It was about 12:30 by the time I arrived there and I took a small break at one of the café tables. I was wearing my running shoes today since I knew I would be doing a lot of walking, but still, my feet were really aching. Still, I had an entire bird park to walk through so off I went.
 Beautiful birds everywhere

 Storks, but not one baby in sight.  Maybe they've retired !

 A peacock, strutting his stuff

 and there are flowers everywhere throughout the 21 acre park, which is home to over 3,000 birds of over 200 species.  According to the brochure, it is the World’s largest free-flight walk-in aviary

 Emu  = 3 toes, second largest bird in the world, brown feathers, from Australia, can run up to 30 mph, farmed for their meat, oil and feathers. Mate in pairs.

 Ostrich =  2 toes, tallest and largest bird in the world, black feathers with white tail and belly, large eyes, from Africa, can run up to 40 mph. One male with group of 6 or 7 females

 Owl, taking a nap.  "Somebody turn off the lights!"

A beautiful hornbill
 Eagle, Falcon or Hawk?  I think it's an eagle, but I have a hard time telling them apart when they are just sitting, even this close.

 In many of the aviaries you can walk among the birds.  This little girl was having a great time.

 Close up look at a peacock.  Maybe this is where the idea for those "fantasy" hats or "fascinators" came from.

 The Bird Park is an amazing area, full of various water works, bridges and greenery

 You can even walk behind a waterfall in one of the huge aviaries

 You can see the net from one aviary in this picture

and these "double doorways" are the way in and out.  Close one door before you open the next one, to ensure no birds get out.
By the time I was finished visiting the park I was so tired I could hardly stand up anymore.  My sweater was completely soaked through, even though it was only 35C today.  I made my way to the taxi stand near the ticket counter and caught a cab back to the hotel.  Only 18 Ringgit, about $6; and the drive was a lot further than the $45 I paid for the day I arrived.
So much for going to visit the mosque and Merdeka Square today.  It just isn't going to happen.
Back at the hotel I showered, got in bed, elevated my aching feet and stayed there for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: