Monday 16 July 2012

June 8, Friday

June 8, Friday

The bus is at the hotel by 8:45 ready to take us from Hue to Hoi An, where we will be spending 3 nights. 
 We cross mostly flat terrain with rice fields

 And cross some quaint little towns

 Finally we reach the coast for the rest of the drive

 Lots of fishing activities here

 And then we reach some hills and I get a great view of one of the bays along the shore

We make one stop along the way to have some coffee and rest for 1/2 hour

 Restaurant at the rest stop

And we have access to the beach, where I decide to get my feet wet.


Further down the coast we reach Da Nang which was an American base during the Vietnam War.  For those of you who remember the TV show called “China Beach”, this was the area where they spent their “leisure” time on China Beach.  

Hoi An , originally known as Fai Fo, is a small beautiful town and very touristy.  It was a port city in the 15th century and they dealt with merchants from China, Japan, Holland, France and Portugal.  Many of the old wooden homes are still standing.  In the 19th century, Da Nang replaced it as the major port.  The town was renamed Hoi An in 1954 and it was recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999.

 Arriving in Hoi An and its quaint little streets

 My room at the Golf Hoi An Hotel

 The view of the pool from my room

 We have a nice lunch on the 2ndfloor of a riverfront restaurant.  There are tour boats below for those who want to go on a river cruise.

 Streets of Hoi An

 The streets are filled with shops, restaurants, bars and tailor shops where you can have clothes made to measure.  Two of the guys have 3 piece suits made.  I get a little cotton dress made, not that I need it, but it will be fine for this trip.  Others get pants, dresses and shirts made.  I brought my black back-pack to the tailors as well, since tone of the seams has come apart at the top; I’m hoping they will be able to fix it.  I’m done before the others are so I take advantage of the fact that there is a lady in the tailor shop who does manicures, pedicures and eye brows.  I just have the eye brows done since I did not like the look of the manicure tools that were in here little box.  I don’t think they’ve been cleaned in alcohol for a very very long time.

We spend more time wandering the small streets and checking out the boutiques before heading back to the hotel.  Lindsay and Melisa have decided to share a room, so I have a room to myself for the next three nights.  How nice is that !  
Dinner tonight is a special occasion; we are celebrating Michael’s 50th birthday at a very nice restaurant.

No comments: