Wednesday 21 March 2012

March 18, Sunday

March 18, Sunday 

Switched hotels today.  I’m now at the Hotel Meraden Grand;  SO much nicer and still less than $100 / night  (4,400 Rupees).   First thing I did was to take a nice long shower and wash my nightgowns.  

 
 
 Full mural in wooden marqueterie relief = Varanasi ghats on the Ganga

4 floor waterfall in the open restaurant

 Waterfall and restaurant from the 4rth floor

 My bedroom....    and a clean bathroom !

Then I got on the internet and booked a lot of flights and hotels for my upcoming destinations.  Kathmandu-Nepal to  Hong Kong; Hong Kong to Beijing; Shanghai to Tokyo.  I need to show all these bookings in order to get my tourist visa for China.    
Went down to the restaurant in the late afternoon for a bite to eat and decided to forego Indian food for a change, they had pizza on the menu !   Didn’t quite taste like ours do, but I really needed a change in my diet.

So nice to be able to sleep in a soft bed and have nice pillows !
General notes about India:
The national sport in India is cricket, similar to baseball in some ways since they use some type of bat that has a curved side to it to better redirect the ball once you hit it, but appears to be more of a “gentleman’s” game.  

Dads take care of their children and are often seen walking around with them, or riding with them on motorcycles:  in front of them if they are tiny, in back if they can manage to hang on by themselves.
Signs along the road:   “Accident Prone Area” ! ! !

Signs written on the back of transport trucks:   “Horn Please.  Use Dipper at night.” 
Both men and women peeing on the streets:  men simply take it out and pee !   Women squat down and lift their skirts to they don’t get wet,  don’t appear to wear panties.   Not sure how they manage when wearing pants under a tunic, but they do !

Neema indicated that some of the roads had been “under construction” for at least 5 years.  It appears to be endless with no clear plan of when it will be completed.
People washing themselves and their clothes wherever they can find water:  streams, rivers, puddles, water troughs, etc and often the water doesn’t appear to be very clean in the first place, with who knows what floating in it, or having come down from further upstream.    How many times during this portion of my trip have I thanked my lucky stars that I was born in Canada.  We take so much for granted, like clean water !

Beautiful people !  In every country and every city around the world, some people are beautiful and some ordinary, but when I see beautiful people here in India, both men and women, they are extraordinary beauties who could be top models.   And the real beauties don't need make-up, they are exquisite.

No comments: