Sunday 9 September 2012

July 24, Tuesday

July 24, Tuesday  

Had another lazy morning before finally getting started on my last full day in Singapore.   Took the MRT to Harbour Front.   My breakfast was long gone, so I purchased some sushi rolls and an anti-oxidant drink called “The Fat Buster” made with fresh star fruit, apple and beet. Delicious.  After eating this while sitting outside, I was able to locate the Ticket counter for the Cable Car up Faber Mountain, or down to the Disney-like amusement park Sentosa.    When I got to the ticket counter however I found out it would cost me more than $40; about the same amount I had paid for the Singapore Flyer.   Not worth it, so I decided to climb up instead.  An enquiry at the information counter of the Harbour front Mall helped me navigate through a few buildings, back down to the underground, and across to the other side of Harbour Front to the trail going up the mountain.
 The cable cars from the WaterFront Mall

 That's really high up

 Taking the path up the mountain.  Looking out for monkeys
Although it was quite a climb via a series of staircases and trails, most of it was under the shade of tall trees which created a tunnel almost all the way up. The other benefit was that the tunnel effect also created a draft of wind, cooling things down considerably for me. I’m in much better shape than I have been in the past and was panting, but not completely out of breath by the time I reached the upper levels

 Huffing and puffing, I'm almost there.

 The view from the top of Mount Faber

Beautifully landscaped, all along the crest of the mountain

 Beautiful view of the harbour below.  Do you see the red sign, and the pier on the right of it?  That's where I started walking from to get up Mount Faber.

 And I finally spot the famous Lion Logo of Singapore out in the distance

 Really beautiful.  There is even a tall ship out in the harbour

 and in the other direction, I can see all the commercial ships in the harbour

 Going back up the path to the bus stop

The flowers are beautiful, even though I have no idea what they are.  They drape the trellises all the way along the road.

I walked around a bit and took some pictures and noticed that there was a bus stop up there.  Great, I could pay the $1.10 and ride the bus around the top of the mountain and then back down to the harbour front. The sign said that the buses were running every half hour, and I figured that they would leave the bottom of the mountain on the hour and ½ hour, so one should be by within 10 minutes.  I waited 20 and went back to check the bus sign.  Crap…. It only runs on weekends.  Oh well, the original plan was to walk up and back down again, so back down I went.  Took a lot less time as well, and no signs of any monkeys.
Back down the path, on the lookout for monkeys.  There is no one else anywhere in sight.
I used the MRT to get back to my hotel area, and decided to try to locate a hair salon since I was in bad need of a professional cut, regardless of the cost.  Entered the Bugis+ Mall, which I had not explored yet, and located a salon on the 3rd floor.  The staff were all young guys and they were very pleasant and had me laughing the entire time I was there.  They were quite impressed by the fact that I was travelling by myself.   The cut turned out to be a bit shorter than I would have liked, but my hair and nails are growing so fast here that it didn’t really matter.  It’s a cute cut and will keep its shape as it grows.

I took advantage of the restaurants in the mall and had a very nice dinner at a Japanese restaurant.  I love these since I know I will get some fresh vegetables with my meals, which isn’t always the case at other ethnic restaurants.
 My meal includes dumplings, miso soup and sea food and veggie stir fry.
I had spotted an amazing Italian Gelato outlet just beside the restaurant and went over for dessert.

Who could resist?

So much to choose from.  I would have liked to be able to buy some tiny cups of at least 6 of their flavors, but I restrained myself and only selected the “very berry” so that I would get another dose of antioxidants.  (That’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it.)
It was 6:30 by the time I got back to the hotel with a full tummy and a new hair cut.  Pretty good day.

No comments: