Thursday 27 September 2012

August 25, Saturday

August 25, Saturday
I arranged with the hotel to have a very late check-out of my room, which cost me approx $60, but it was worthwhile since my flight to Darwin, Australia only leaves at 11 pm tonight.  I have the entire day to relax around the pool and pack up my bags again. 

I won’t go into the great detail of my “problems” at the airport.  Suffice it to say that “bakshish” applies with “officials” in Bali.  I got scammed for extra luggage weight again, $250, even though the ticket I had purchased on-line had “clearly” indicated a lower cost for the 32 kg limit with the online ticket.  The man at the counter JetStar counter was so rude it was a good thing the counter was too high and wide for me to reach across and give him a good slap.  Then I got dinged $40 for “supposedly” going over the 30 day limit on my visa (I had not, but I had had enough of arguing by this point and just wanted to get on the plane and LEAVE!).  No receipt on that money by the way, and he backdated the exit stamp by one week (I only noticed this after I got on the plane) so the money went directly into this guy’s pocket.

I have to say however that apart from these two men at the airport, EVERYONE else on the island was pleasant, smiling, helpful and just generally very nice.  The staff at the Sun Island Hotel where I stayed were very solicitous and could not have been nicer, from the people at the reception desk, the restaurant, the pool, the persons cleaning the rooms and even the security guards at the gate.  Ditto for the people who worked in all the restaurants where I ate in Kuta.
The plane left on time and I bid “Adieu” to both Bali and Indonesia.

No comments: