Tuesday 25 September 2012

August 12, Sunday

August 12, Sunday

Leaving Java today and taking the ferry at Ketapang, over to Bali.  I’ve calculated that during my trip across Java we covered more than 1,500 kms.  Now if you were to stick to the major highways and not meander around the island like we did, it would only be about 1,190 km from Jakarta to Ketapang.
We leave the hotel at 8:30 and board the ferry at about 9:15 for the 1 hour crossing of Selat Bali Straight (only 3.2 km away, but the ferry has to go around a huge circle of water because the water is so shallow).  

 Getting on the ferry in Ketapang.
 ALL ABOARD !
 Goodbye JAVA.  YOU WERE WONDERFUL !
 And goodbye to Mount Ijen, just peeking out from above the clouds.
HELLO BALI !    Arriving in Gilimanuk
Bali, a province of Indonesia, is a very small island: population of 3.8 million.  “Island of Peace” or “Island of the Gods” it only covers an area of 5,780.06 km2 (2,231.69 sq mi).  East to west, the island measures only about 153 km (95 m) wide and 112 km (69 m) north to south.   Java’s population was mostly Muslim, but Bali’s is mostly Hindu so Ramadhan won’t be a factor any more.  The Portuguese were the first westerners to arrive here in 1585, but the Dutch were the ones to colonize it, arriving in 1587 with the Dutch East India Company being established in 1602, same as Java and most of Indonesia.
 One of the "gates" over the roads.  Very "Bali" looking.

 and most homes have their own temple on site.

 We follow the beach for a good portion of the drive.   I wonder if salt water gets in the rice fields when the waves are high?

 Beautiful site of crashing white waves on that blue blue sea.

 And they sure love their monuments here as well.

 But we are definitely back in Hindu country

You can tell by the monuments.

We drove through Bali passing through Negara and continuing along the southern coast route to Tabanan and on to Denpasar and Kuta.  
It took us 5 hours to drive 125 km from Gilimanuk to Denpasar; that should give you an idea of what traffic is like throughout the island of Bali.  Add to that the fact that it is Ramadhan and that Eid is this week, with families travelling to get to and from Java and Bali by car and the traffic problems are compounded.  Daniel & Dodi were to driop me off in Denpasar, the capital of the province,  but Kuta is only a few more miles south and they drive me all the way to the Sun Island Hotel where I will be resting for about 2 weeks.  They have done a great job of taking me around the island of Java, and I’ve now been seen about half the island of Bali just on the drive today.   I said a sad goodbye to Daniel and Dodi and it is obvious that they were not expecting the envelope of money I gave to each of them.  Happy Eid !    (as I prepared the final pictures for my blog I realized that I don’t have a photo of Dodi, and yet I’m sure I took one of them in the car…. CRAP !)

I’ve settled into my very nice Sun Island Hotel which is only a 5 minute walk from the incredible beach, and which has a nice pool area which has both shade & sunshine most of the day. 

My room at the Sun Island Hotel
 
and the pool area.    I'm going to love this holiday away from my travels.

No comments: