Monday 17 October 2011

Oct 16, Sunday & Oct 17, Monday

Oct 17, Monday
I’m spending a lazy day resting at thehotel and wandering the streets of Cuzco around the main square.   We really did not get much of a chance to walk around and visit Cuzco last time, since our stay here was very short.  It is quite beautiful here.   Pics when I get back from Machu Pichu.
Oct 16, Sunday
Tried to sleep in, got a late breakfast, went out to get some funds out of an ATM at ScotiaBanco,    Hey, remember this when you are travelling in other countries:   less fees to pay when you use a Canadian based ATM bank machine.   I checked out of the hotel at 10:30, got to the airport at 11:00 for my flight at 12:35.    Surprise !   It only leaves at 12:55.   
My cold is still rampaging my body.  Now coughing up phlem as well as having the head cold.   This is always the case with my damaged lungs.   Medication is helping; finally found some throat lozenges and medicated lip balm.  
Got some great shots after we had taken off from Arequipa.   Because of the wind direction, we took off towards the west towards the Pacific.    As soon as you cross the mountain range towards the west, lies a great expanse of desert all the way to the Pacific ocean, which was visible in the distance.   We then turned and flew over Arequipa, and I got a great shot of Misti’s volcanic crater.
We then continued east to Juliaca and Puno off Lace Titicaca.  Due to the wind direction I did not get to see Lake Titicaca this time around, although Yvette and I got some great shots when we were travelling in Peru with Claude & Juana Gervais 2 ½ years ago.    The stop in Juliaca was short, just to let off and take on more passengers, but it was enough time for me to remember the nice greeting we had received at this airport by a group of flute players.  I smiled when I remembered it, and I’m smiling now as I write this down.  Can you still hear them Yvette?   It was so beautiful.
The flight to Cuzco was like riding a roller coaster.   It is early spring here and the hot and cold air from the high mountains really created some interesting winds.    We had to circle Cuzco at least once, all in the clouds, before being able to land.   I grabbed a taxi and made it to the Del Prado Inn within 20 minutes.   I’m sure I over paid the taxi ride, but I could not wait to check in and relax for a few hours.
The manager of the hotel, Cesar, contacted the local travel agent they use and by 6 pm I had booked my 3-day 2-nights stay in Aguas Calientes to visit Machu Pichu once again (Oct 18, 19, 20).    
Early dinner of my favourite Peruvian soup:  sopa creolla, a nice Chilcano drink (I prefer this Pisco drink instead of Pisco sour);  both of these to help with my cold of course.   And then, just to make me happy, I had a piece of chocolate cake with a filling of Dulce de leche.   Thought of you again Yvette !   They had even warmed up the cake and served it with two small scoops of ice cream covered with chocolate sauce.   Definitely food for the soul !
Early to bed and rest.

No comments: