Wednesday 12 October 2011

Oct 12, Wednesday

Oct 12, Wednesday

A few other things I saw yesterday:   We stopped at a place called Incalpaca Outlet & Zoologico, which sells clothing made from Alpaca, Llama, Vicuña & Guanaco.   Since I can’t wear any type of wool due to skin allergies, the best part for me was the zoologico where I was finally able to differentiate between a llama and an alpaca.
The vicuña is the smallest of the four, produces the best quality wool and also the most expensive.  It is very slim and has short caramel coloured hair.  The best quality wool comes from its lower neck and chest.

The guanaco is the largest of the four, produces the second best quality of wool and is very territorial.  As soon as we approached to its enclosure his ears went back against its head and he reared up his front legs against the wall,   We were advised to stay well away from that side of the path so as not to disturb him further.  This is the best shot I got of him.  Not sure if they are always caramel coloured or if they come in other colours as well

The alpaca comes in all sorts of colours and sizes.  It has long hair and is easily domesticated.  It produces the third best quality wool.  They had a number of these is brown, rust and black colouring, as well as this one which was black and white.   It is slightly shorter than the llama, but the best way to tell them apart is the tuft of hair on their foreheads.

The llama is the second tallest of the four, (middle one in this photo) produces the least quality of wool and is also easily domesticated.   They also come in a variety of colours.  No poufy hair on its forehead.   I can FINALLY tell them apart from the alpacas.
Both alpaca & llama meat are eaten.  People who live in the wilds of Peru will dry the llama meat so that it lasts for many months.   No idea if they eat vicuña, but I doubt that they eat guanaco since I seem to remember reading that it is endangered.
We drove through the country side after this and visited La Mansion del Fundador.  Manuel Garci de Carbajal founded Arequipa in 1540, at the request of Pizarro. This was his country home and was badly damaged during the many earthquakes, but rebuilt each time. 
We then went to visit an old grist mill, which was in a beautiful setting.   There was a horse riding area here as well and a variety of birds around the running water.
Today I got a bit of a late start for a walk around the northern sector of the historical district.
There is some type of demonstration going on outside and someone is yelling on a loud speaker, so I think I’ll stay away from the main square.   Walked down Moral Street to go visit la “Casa Moral”.   He and his descendants were mayors of Arequipa for a number of generations.
I then walked down to the river to take pictures of the bridge I could not catch during the drive yesterday.   Walked around some more until I found the old fort, which is now the municipal museum and right beside it is the Iglesia de San Francisco and el Convento.   Visited all of these and walked around some more.   Stopped for a late lunch of pizza.   Walked around some more and decided to call it a day.  
Tomorrow I’m leaving for my 2-day trip to la valle del Calco and no idea if I’ll have internet connection.  

No comments: