Saturday 1 October 2011

Oct 1, Saturday

Oct 1, Saturday

Could not connect to the internet this morning;  I guess they cut me off since I’m checking out today.  Got some of my e-pictures organized,  packed and checked out of the hotel at noon.   Only a few minutes away from the bus station, and I made the 12:45 express bus to Trujillo.   Three hour ride on very straight, flat roads.  What a change.    The scenery was very arid with a few areas that had been irrigated and where they were growing the three staples in this region:  corn, sugar cane & rice.
Irrigated rice fields



Made it to Trujillo by 4 and took a taxi to the hotel I hoped to be staying.  Turns out this weekend is ‘El Festival de la Primavera’….  Spring Festival.    The hotels in the historic district are all booked up for the celebration of “El senor de Milagro”, some type of religious icon they parade around the streets.  The city will be FILLED on Sunday.   So I only have one night in this hotel.   Dropped my luggage and went out to walk around.  Came across a Tour Agency, so I booked a tour for tomorrow morning, and another one for Monday afternoon.   The young lady was very nice and helped me to locate a hotel for Sunday and Monday night.   Kept walking around and found a travel agency, so I went in to book my flight back to Lima on Tuesday morning.   They could not help me book a hotel however, so I’ll try to do this on-line.

I have to tell you about the smells in the street.   There is a distinct aroma of pee lingering every once in a while.  Now I remember seeing a little boy peeing in the street at some point, but do men do it as well?  Is it from all the dogs peeing in the street?   This area of Peru is very arid, hardly any rain.  So I’ve figured out that it’s probably old pee that just never got washed away; and when the sun is beating down on the roads and sidewalks, it heats up the old pee and the aroma is everywhere.   OUFF !
Had a nice dinner in an Italian restaurant on a pedestrian street named Pizarro;  this is the “main drag”.  

 Back at my hotel just after 8 pm,  late for me to be out alone but the streets are filled with people.   There is even a group of young ladies competing in some type of beauty contest, staying in this hotel.    Time to sign off for today.

No comments: