Tuesday 13 September 2011

Sept 13 – Tuesday

Got an early start.  Bags were packed by 7:30 and I was checked out by 8:00.   Thank God I had pre-paid for the room with my VISA when I booked it in Canada.   Used up $150 bolivares to pay for the drinks in the mini-bar because my own hotel would not take a VISA payment !   Used $210 bolivares for the taxi to the airport.   Used the last bolivares for breakfast at the airport.  Didn’t even have enough left for a bottle of water.   Time to get to a friendlier banking country.  

I don’t want you to think it was all bad however.  The people I met were friendly and helpful (except for most of the people who work in the banks, who were often quite rude).      The coffee is incredibly good. I can’t really comment on the quality of the food, since I didn’t have enough money to spend on it.  I used small places that the locals use to eat:  pork, chicken, empanadas.   I had a “Venezuelan chocolate frappe” which was also delicious.   Not crazy about their beer, but then I’m not really a beer drinker, but it was filling.    My belt buckle is now in the third hole, instead of the first, so I must have lost some weight;  I consider that a bonus to offset the lack of bolivares !

My flight left at noon and 1 ½ hours later we landed in Bogota, Columbia.   I got some money (Columbian Pesos) from the ATM machine at the airport (YEAH ! ! !)   took a taxi into the city and headed for “Hotel IBIS Museo” located in the “International Zone” of Bogota.  Turns out I’m smack dab in the right area with museums, planetarium, Plaza de Toros, as well as the old historical district within walking distance, and Monserrate Sanctuary on the mountain behind the hotel.   Lots of road construction going on the main boulevards.   Hotel is clean and comfortable !   LIFE IS GOOD;   I get to eat again.

No comments: