Wednesday 18 January 2012

January 17, Wednesday

January 17, Wednesday 

Happy Birthday Gilles P, wherever you are.
Today is another “walking around” day, heading for the zoo (the largest in SA) and then Union Buildings where the house of the president of the country is located, as well as other buildings.

I made it to the zoo after about a half hour walk.   I sign at the entrance addressed the matter of emergency evacuation:  A horn will blast twice to indicate Fire; it will blast 4 times if  “A dangerous animal has escaped”   ! ! ! YIKES ! ! !
  Banyan Fig Tree

  Scimitar-horned Oryx

 Zoo grounds

 Baboon licking the post

  
  Lion-tailed macaque

  Fighting buffalo

 Black Rhino

  Zoo grounds

  Very sad gorilla in a very dark enclosure

 It may be the largest zoo in SA but it has been seriously neglected.   Although the grounds appear to be well maintained, many of the enclosures are empty and have not been used in quite awhile.  The enclosures for the seals and sea lions were filthy and being cleaned (see pics below)  but why let it get so dirty in the first place.  Some of the birds were in bad shape as well and windows in some of the viewing areas had not been cleaned in a long time.  
 Disgustingly dirty pools for the seals and sea lions

  Addax

 Tiger

  Nubian Ibex

  Springbok with sacred ibis

  Zoo grounds, largest enclosure for the white rhino 

  Red River Hog
 Another rhino but in a small enclosure

 Hyena smelling food that a family is eating on the other side of the fence

 Baby monkee hanging on to mama

  Servel

  Suricate
  Steenbok

 "There must be an easier way to get to this grass"

 Old elephant who has lost his/her tusks
 Large elephant in better shape

  Madagascar Lemurs
Actually fairly disappointing, although I did enjoy walking around since the zoo grounds are huge.  The brochure did not say how many acres, but I know I walked around for 3 hours in there.   The day was partially cloudy making less hot.  

I decided to walk over to see the Union Buildings, where the president lives.  It was about an other half hour walk away.   As I made my way along Boom to Edmond street, I realized that it probably was NOT a safe area to walk in.   Definitely getting some strange looks today and there is garbage everywhere as well as feces (not necessarily dogs’ !)   As I reached Nelson Mandela Avenue and saw that the rest of the way would be uphill, I decided that enough was enough, so I turned right on Mandela and made my way back to my hotel.   I was dripping wet again by the time I reached my room.   I think I’ve made up (exercise wise) for my weeks in the car. 

Movie time !

No comments: