Tuesday 3 January 2012

Dec 31, Saturday

Dec 31, Saturday 

Spent a restless night trying to decide if I should continue on to East London, and head north from there taking Highway N9 back up to Highway N1, or to take Highway N10 just past Port Elizabeth, going back to Colesberg.   The first would have allowed me to see more different countryside, but it appeared to have even longer distances without petrol (they don’t call it gas here).   They were predicting a cloudy day, so I did not feel so bad about having to leave Jeffrey’s Bay.   I was back on the road by about 10:30, after using an internet café to send an e-mail to my immediate family.   I played it safe and took Highway N10, which will take a bit less driving time and provide me with a bit of downtime somewhere along the way.
The route took me across the Suurbekge mountain range and into the clouds, with a misty rain to begin with, that turned into dense clouds with almost no visibility for about 15 minutes; slow driving.  Then suddenly it was as if a curtain had opened and I drove into the sunshine.  In the space of 10 feet, the pavement was completely dry;   absolutely no rain had fallen.   The drive back down the mountains was beautiful.   The rest of the drive was through the vast plains again.   I made it back to Colesberg by 3 pm and decided to return to the Lodge and enjoy some restful poolside time with an iced drink of Dry Cider.

But again, no Internet connection.

No comments: