Wednesday 7 December 2011

Dec 5, Monday & Dec 6, Tuesday & Dec 7, Wednesday

Dec 5, Monday   &   Dec 6, Tuesday   &   Dec 7, Wednesday
Spent three fairly quiet days around Copacabana,  walking around the streets and the beach, taking in some sun on the roof top terrace of the hotel, going out for a traditional Brazilian meal (meat carved with a machete at your table !)  and taking in a Brazilian Culture show.






We have had mostly cloudy days except for the few hours I spent trying to get a bit of a tan on my white legs on the roof top terrace of the hotel. 
 Christ the Redeemer from the roof top of Hotel Bandeirantes

 View of Copacabana from the roof top

The sidewalks in Copacabana are made  up of terazo like tiles which are quite pretty, but I have to watch every step because of my weak ankles and the wavy footing.  They obviously don’t have frost here, so I can only assume that the sub-structure is not well done or has been greatly affected during the rainy seasons.
Lévis asked if there were Xmas decorations up in the streets, and I said there were, but as we were driving around last night coming back from the show, I realized that there weren't any of the streets decorated (like we do in Ottawa) but only some of the stores and inside the malls.  I guess Xmas isn't as big a deal here as it is at home.
  Xmas decorations in one of the malls

I’m ready for the next leg of my journey in Brazil and have booked my bus ticket to Sao Paolo, leaving tomorrow morning.  This will give me a chance to see the rural portions of Brazil during the 6 hour ride and hopefully glimpses of the coast as well.   My hotels are also booked in Sao Paolo, so no surprises for me this time around.

No comments: